[cisco-voip] CME 4.1 register SIP phones on different subnet

tele tele at plexialab.it
Fri Jul 6 06:08:16 EDT 2007

Hi,

I've found this:

"Did you ever get the phone working from a subnet that wasn't local to
the router? I've been trying to get this to work for a couple of days
and have finally figured out why.

It's all to do with the way that Cisco tie phones to profiles. When a
phone tries to register with the SIP function on the router, the router
ARPs for the IP address of the phone that is trying to register. It then
uses this as a lookup mechanism for the voice register pool. This
obviously works fine for local phones (they will answer the ARP request)
but not for remote ones. The workaround is to manually configure ARPs
and static routes on the router for the remote IP address. Pretty ugly,
but it does work.

e.g.

voice register dn 1
number 9001
!
voice register pool 1
id mac 0014.F275.1D36
number 1 dn 1
max registrations 36
codec g711ulaw
!
! arp for none local phones
arp 10.1.198.11 0014.f275.1d36 ARPA
!
! Ip route needed otherwise router thinks the address is local
ip route 10.1.198.11 255.255.255.255 10.1.200.96
!

Hope this helps. I have a number of non Cisco SIP phones registered and
working with CME 4.0 now.
"

This is really ugly, i've to statically set the ARP entry for the SIP
phones. Anyway the phones now register to the CME but i'm not able to
make call between phones on different network.

:tele