[cisco-voip] 12.4(11)T3 IOS MGCP issues

Erick Bergquist erickbee at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 16:42:05 EDT 2007

Does anyone know of an issue with MGCP in 12.4(11)T3 IOS?

Had a 2800 ISR series gateway stop accepting/placing calls the other
day, and had to reboot the gateway to fix the issue.  No MGCP / MGCP
did not work. When you reset the gateway from call manager it did not
reset (ccm-manager config is in router config). Shutting down the T1
controller on the gateway and bringing it back up did not resolve it
either. When we tried to switch it over to backup call manage
(ccm-manager switchover-) it kept trying to register on the other call
managers but never did. Other gateways were registered to these just
fine, so after all this it seemed MGCP went whacko and lost its mind
so we rebooted the gateway and all has been fine since. Doing a bug
search doesn't come up with any bugs matching this behavior either.

We were on 12.4(9)T before, but each time the gateway lost it's MGCP
connection MGCP would not come up cleanly and needed to manually
bounced (no mgcp/mgcp) to come back. So we upgraded to a newer IOS
version and MGCP has been recovering on it's own when it lost
connection over WAN until the issue yesterday.  I've had issues with
12.4(15)T and 12.4(15)T1 places and used 12.4(11)T3 here because that
has worked elsewhere without problems until now.

In the ISDN q931 debug, the call would come in and immediately get an
unallocated/unassigned as a cause code back to the carrier from the
Call Manager. But the CCM Detailed trace from time did not show any
inbound MGCP activity (yea, I was on the right call manager and looked
at all the traces from both the servers to make sure).

Erick