[cisco-voip] 5.1 active disk filling?

Andre Beck cisco-voip at ibh.net
Mon Oct 8 04:47:14 EDT 2007

Hi,

I didn't have significant problems with 5.1 so far (other than those with
localization that got fixed) and was running 5.1.1.3000-5 until some
weeks ago. Then I upgraded to 5.1.2.3000-2 without problems and the box
ran flawless until yesterday, when CCM suddenly dropped all H.323 gateway
connections. Restarting the CCM service helped.

This morning, the box stopped answering HTTP connections (as tracked
by our Nagios monitoring) and had to be rebooted, after this it again
resumed normal operation.

What I noticed in the OS Admin Web interface is that the "Disk/active"
filesystems are rather full (my 5.1.1 is at 93%, the 5.1.2 was at 95%)
and they are *constantly* *growing*.

I switched versions back to 5.1.1 to verify this, it's the same there:

                        Total            Free            Used

Disk/active         12317944K         928084K       10764132K (93%)
[...]
Disk/active         12317944K         928068K       10764148K (93%)
[...]
Disk/active         12317944K         928064K       10764152K (93%)

without the number ever getting smaller again.

What would write to the software partions instead of to the common or
log partitions? Is this normal and maybe garbage collected every some
hours/days or might this be a reason for an installation suddenly failing
after weeks of runtime?

I'm probably going to upgrade to 5.1.3, which will let me lose my 5.1.1
fallback installation. Hopefully this will be stable again.

BTW, the absence of an "expert" login to actually search for the reason
of the growing diskspace is an ENTIRELY SILLY IDEA. I'm feeling like a
lobotomized ex-hacker at this "admin" shell...

Thanks,
Andre.
--
    .sig making fun of Santa Claus Operation currently unavailable

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++    IBH Prof. Dr. Horn GmbH, Dresden <-