[cisco-voip] A little Fun

Gibson, Brian (Jersey City) brian.gibson at stifel.com
Mon Oct 8 12:38:54 EDT 2007

Personally I try to stay away from engineers specific configuration
questions because being able to answer those questions doesn't speak to
their overall networking knowledge but rather their configuration
experience.  You can teach anyone to configure a router or switch.  You
can't teach them how IP operates.

Anyway here are some basic questions I ask mid-level people I interview.

1. What is the purpose of ARP?

2. How does traceroute operate?

3. If you did a ping test and the response you received was "TTL expired
in transit" what does that most likely indicate?

4. Why is UDP used for multimedia services rather than TCP?

5. What does IGMP do?  What does PIM do?  Extra credit for being able to
differentiate between sparse and dense.

Don't ask questions that are specific to your environment since the
prospective employee doesn't know your environment.  And don't try to
catch the interviewee on gotchas.  The purpose of the test is to get an
idea of how good the engineer is, not make him or her feel dumb because
they forgot some relatively minor point.  Also broader questions allow
the interviewee to speak so you can get a better idea of their technical
communications skills.