[cisco-voip] Unity Express: NM-CUE vs AIM-CUE

Paul Choi asobihoudai at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 14 21:44:09 EDT 2007

--- "Lawrence E. Bakst" <ml at iridescent.org> wrote:

> 1. For a very small installation, 5 phones in a
> home, is there any reason not to prefer the AIM-CUE
> over the NM-CUE for running Unity Express?

For an installation for 5 people, the AIM should be
fine for your needs. I just don't like it because it's
slow as molasses in winter if you have to reboot it.

> I would like to do this on a 2821 and would prefer
> to use the single NM slot for a NM-HDA I have on
> hand and use an AIM-CUE For Unity Express. However
> if the AIM-CUE is going to be headache, I'll flush
> the NM-HDA and get some VIC2 cards or the EVM stuff
> and run a NM-CUE in the NM slot.
>
> Jim's post kind of scared me a bit.
>
> At 8:17 AM -0400 7/30/05, Jim McBurnett wrote:
> >If there are expectations that there might be more
> than a dozen messages a day, consider the NM-CUE.
> >The AIM-CUE has a flash drive, and is subject to
> flash wear....
> >Also, look into a good Battery backup. I would
> reccomend a Liebert, with the cable that plugs in
> the AUX port to shutdown CUE..
> >If you don't then CUE can crash on you if the
> system is not shutdown properly.....
> >
> >jim
>
> 2. With the NM-CUE do you really have to shutdown
> via aux port (or console?) on the NM-CUE before you
> turn power off on the router? That is kind of a
> drag. Is the also true for the AIM-CUE? Does the
> AIM-CUE also have console ports?

You don't have to have an AUX port for shutdown. You
can shut the module down via the command line.
e.g.,

service-engine service-module 1/0 shutdown

> 3. How prone to corruption are these cards? I have a
> UPS but not one that knows how to shutdown the
> NM-CUE via AUX-port.

I have never had it become corrupt after a year of
regular usage.

> 4. I also heard that the AIM-CUE is very slow to
> boot up after a reboot/crash and that the NM-CUE
> boot up much faster. Is that true? Anyone
> comparative boot times for crash and no crash
> scenarios?

The NM is faster because it uses a regular harddisk.
The AIM uses a compact flash disk. I don't have any
times per se but I'd guess that the NM takes only
5mins or so to reboot while the AIM can take up to 15
mins.

> 5. If the flash on the AIM-CUE does get corrupted
> what is the procedure for reinstalling? Anything
> stopping me from cloning the CF card when I get it
> and having that on hand if the CF card on the
> AIM-CUE gets corrupted? That would seem to be the
> "easy button". If that works, it would seem that
> AIM-CUE might be better than the NM-CUE, if it gets
> corrupted.

I would guess that the answer is nothing is preventing
you from making a clone of the system but then again
I've never tried it so good luck with that if you go
that route.

Paul