[cisco-voip] CM 5 Upgrade - My Fast Dials

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 10:48:17 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

Hitting one last snag (I hope the last one) in my upgrade plans for ccm 4.1to
5.1. Our problem was the change to My Fast Dials outlined here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a008088d0dc.shtml
Fast dials and address book now live in the Directories button. This in and
of itself isn't a problem, but it prompts for userID and PIN before you can
use it.

Requiring our users to log into the phone in order to use the fast dial
service isn't acceptable in our environment. If they had to do that, they
would A) not use the feature any longer, and B) complain, a lot. Up until
now we haven't provided them access to the CCMUser page, we've just
provisioned the service for them so in most cases user's wont even know what
their PIN is.

Solution was a different service URL that another cisco customer told us
about that functions very similar to the old service, allowing you to add
the userID and PIN as parameters and pass them along inside the URL.
Unfortunately, the parameter name for user ID is different. When I go into
the IP Phone services in CM5 and change the service URL, I also must rename
that parameter, which clears out the user ID value in all the subscriptions.

So now my task is to find a way to re-insert all those user ID values onto
the correct phones. I have this information available in a CSV file, but I
can't figure out how to make BAT read this in and update the existing
settings. The only thing I can do is specify device names in a file and then
fill in the update phone web page form.. however that only allows you to add
new services rather than update existing ones. I would just re-add the
service, but the web page form doesn't allow for arbitrary parameter values
per phone, in other words I'd be specifying the same UserID and PIN to all
the phones.

Is there no way to update via a csv file or am I missing it somewhere? I'm
not familiar at all with AXL but is that going to be my only option here?

Maybe I'm making this harder than it needs to be.

Thanks!
Ed

--
Ed Leatherman