[cisco-voip] Callmanager cluster in Wan

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Thu Oct 25 10:43:02 EDT 2007

I've seen many deployments that use this model.  Noteworthy items:
1.register a phone and gw in the US to the EU servers and test the
timing.  With high RTT cm<->gw and cm<->phone users may notice a delay
in audio cut through when answering calls.  Faststart for h323 and
optimized mgcp help some, but delays can still become an issue.  I will
post a followup message with details when I locate them.
2. dialpan on EU servers will become significantly more complex hosting
PSTN patterns for US and EU
3. Consider SRST for the US site, possibly using multiple SRST routers
to allow all phones to register in the event of any network outgate
between US and EU.
4. if you deploy 3rd gen ipphones (7941/7961/7911/7970/7971, etc.) be
aware of upgrade issues due to TFTP over high RTT.  Strongly consider
upgrading to CM version and phone versions that support peer to peer
firmware sharing. (cm6.0 srnd page 3-15)

More details of this are covered in the SRND:
http://www.cisco.com/go/srnd
Your scenario is covered under "multi-site wan with centralized call
processing' but depends on information in other sectsions as well.

/Wes