[cisco-voip] DST change delay

Andre Beck cisco-voip at ibh.net
Mon Oct 29 10:07:11 EDT 2007

Hi Wes,

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 08:10:52AM -0500, Wes Sisk wrote:
> need to know what phone model and load you are using.

Models: Various. AFAIK the reports came from 7960 users, but this doesn't
mean others weren't affected. It was just sunday and the effect was only
observed by some and by chance.

Loads in use here are:

7912	CP7912080002SCCP060817A
7940/60	P00308000700
7970	SCCP70.8-3-2S

There is another report that the time fixed itself after the phone had
a call. I remember that there have been issues in the past with phone's
clocks drifting away several minutes when the phone was idle, which
would correct itself by simply going offhook for a moment. Maybe that
is the same thing, phones only syncing time every now and then, thus
not noticing such a major change as a DST jump.

> Have you updated per the FN?

Updated what?

> http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a00807ca437.shtml

I don't think this applies to me. CET DST rules have been stable for
a decade now (the last change I remember was in the Win95 era), even
the antique RHEL 3 underneath CCM5 has the correct timezone data for
CET I'm sure. I don't expect any DST issues after such a long time for
the solutions to mature - US and especially NZ changed their rules
somewhat suddenly which is another issue of course.

BTW, I also remember similar reports from CCME users in the spring, which
somehow corrected themselves before I could investigate. It's 7940/60s
there as well. Maybe it's all the same problem with these phones not
syncing their time when idle?

> Andre Beck wrote:
> >
> >last weekend our local time changed from CEST back to CET. Now DST
> >issues are a seemingly neverending story, but it generally worked, at
> >least time was correct on monday morning. I was informed, however, that
> >the phones displayed the wrong time for the complete duration of sunday,
> >they just went correct on the day change to monday.
> >
> >CCM is 5.1.3.1000-12.

TIA,
Andre.
--
    .sig making fun of Santa Claus Operation currently unavailable

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++    IBH Prof. Dr. Horn GmbH, Dresden <-