[cisco-voip] H.323 ISDN question..

Tim Reimers tim.reimers at asheville.k12.nc.us
Mon Oct 29 10:13:45 EDT 2007

Here's a possibly OT question, but perhaps not OT.

We run CCM 4.01 and have a 2651 terminating two ISDN PRIs in H.323 mode
(not MGCP)

The 2651 runs c2600-ipvoice-mz.123-8.T3

Here's the question-

We have some Sony PCS-11 and a Tandberg video conferencing unit.

We normally use video conferencing sites that support IP connectivity,
but I'm now hearing of sites that staff want to conference with which
are ISDN only.

Is it possible to somehow register the Sony/Tandberg units as H.323
clients on the phone system and have them use the ISDN PRI channels for
making video-calls ??

It would seem like perhaps with the CCM and the ISDN we already own that
we possibly already have a lot of the pieces necessary to allow our
video conferencing units to use ISDN when needed, via some sort of
connectivity through the CCM/2651 H.323 gateway??

Or can I/should I think in terms of them using the 2651 as an MCU
directly and not involve the CCM at all??

Or am I talking about two completely different usages of the ISDN PRI
and I can't use the PRI for both CCM voice calls AND for video
conferencing?

Not being familiar with how videoconferencing over ISDN works for sure,
I'm not certain if ISDN is ISDN, or whether there's some different setup
going on for VOIP versus video calls..