[cisco-voip] Ughh DST Issues!

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 13:40:16 EDT 2007

FYI

We ran into a few phones running 8.2.1s code still (7961's and 7911's), for
whatever reason they did not get reset when we upgraded firmware. Their
clocks set back this weekend. There is a asterisk on them in the field
notice that explains why, see below. Most of our phones of those models are
running 8.2.2 and were not affected. At least in our case this was a known
and fixed bug, we just weren't 100% upgraded.

Ed

****IMPORTANT NOTE***: For 7906G, 7911G, 7941G/GE, 7961G/GE, 7970G, 7971GE,
in addition to the above phone loads, there is one manual workaround that
will be needed in order to get the phones to display the correct time.*

There is a Daylight Savings Time issue which will be fixed in an upcoming
phone release, having the following workaround:

- Reset the IP phone from the CCMAdmin for the phone to get the correct
time.

Please be aware that each time IP Phones lose power, the System
Administrator will need to reset the IP Phones from CCMAdmin to get the
correct time.

On 10/29/07, Dark Fiber <d4rkf1ber at gmail.com> wrote:

> Awfully witty and insightful there.  Happy monday morning to you to. :-P
>
> As per the FN:
>

> http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_field_notice09186a00807d3d9e.shtml
>
> "Cisco Unified IP Phone models 7910G, 7910G+SW, 7940G and 7960G (SCCP)
> Time information comes from Cisco Unified CallManager / CallManager
> Express. Update CallManager or CallManager Express to correct the new
> DST dates."
>

> Well like I said the patches were applied to the CallManagers and they
> are obviously working as they showed the correct time and everything.
> And based on the FN 7940s and 7960s get there time from CallManagers
> obviously.  So it doesn't indicate you need to do anything on the
> phones right?
>
> CallManager 4.1(3)sr4d
>
> All phones are 7960s running P00308000400 which as I understand is an SCCP
> load.
>
> So CallManagers are patched and working fine and show correct time.
> Phones are 7960s with an SCCP load, and based on the FN they should
> just get time from CallManagers.
>

> Any thoughts as to what I am missing or overlooking here?
>

> On 10/29/07, Wes Sisk <wsisk at cisco.com> wrote:
> > Hi Dark,
> >
> > No CM version, no phone model, no phone load version. Not much we can
> > say other than read the FN:
> >
> http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a00807ca437.shtml
> >
> > /Wes
> >
> > Dark Fiber wrote:
> > > CallManagers show the correct time and time zone, but the phones all
> > > show the incorrect time now.  They are one hour behind, so basically
> > > they changed over this weekend based on the old schedule and not the
> > > new schedule which should be next weekend.
> > >
> > > I have tried resetting the phones but that didn't do anything.
> > >
> > > Since the CallManagers are all correct I don't know what else to do or
> > > try at this point.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts?   I have checked the date and time group in CallManager
> > > it is right, the CallManagers themselves show the correct date and
> > > time.  But the phones are off an hour.

Ed Leatherman
Senior Voice Engineer
West Virginia University
Telecommunications and Network Operations