[cisco-voip] FXS/FXO - Fax Lines?

Matthew Saskin matt at saskin.net
Mon Oct 29 11:43:23 EDT 2007

At the simplest:
FXS provides battery current and ring voltage
FXO receives battery current and ring voltage.

They are not interchangeable - FXO's will be used when terminating an
analog log provided by a PABX, from a telco, etc.

FXS ports are necessary when you need to generate dial-tone/ring, i.e.;
for analog phones, fax machines, etc.

-matt