[cisco-voip] FXS/FXO - Fax Lines?

VM vmemaillist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 12:04:32 EDT 2007

POTS = Plain Old Telephone Service
FXO = Foreign Exchange Office (i.e. TELCO Switch)
FXS = Foreign Exchange Station (i.e. analog telephone)

For some reason, Cisco identifies these hardware components by the
devices that are intended to be connected to it such that FXS devices
(analog phones, modems, faxes, etc.) connect to the FXS cards and the
FXO cards connect to analog lines being provided with line current
and voltage.  However, the FXO card is actually a FXS device (acts
line a station expecting line current and voltage) and the FXS card
is actually a FXO device (acts like a Telco switch providing line
current and voltage).

Connecting FXS devices to Cisco FXO cards will not work.