[cisco-voip] Random 7940 and 7960 no dial tone, or "Requesting Template"

Matthew J. Hughes mattjhughes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 13:02:30 EDT 2008

I have had this problem happen 2 or 3 times now, The symptoms are as
follows.

1. All phones do a quick Reload 1000 or so
2. Some Phones look fully functional  with line text labels and extensions
3. Some phones are down showing Requesting Template
4. From what I can tell seems to be 7940 and 7960 phones only.
5. Last time this happen Cisco TAC said it was a firmware issue for these
phones and to install new version (clearly did not work)
6. Fairly widespread affecting 300 of 1000 phones.

Anyone run into anything similar?