[cisco-voip] H.323 vs MGCP

Darren darren at dnsl.com
Thu Aug 21 19:38:31 EDT 2008

Hi, I recently got the TAC to confirm this, and after some back and forth
the TAC DO support fraction E1's using MGCP, as long as you do below, I got
confirmation in an email so I'm all good there.  Also of interest I'm not
100% sure you have do below, I had an 10channel E1 configured and used
asscending and descending and I couldn't get it to fail, so I suspect its
not an issue anymore, also I had the call manager config enabled and it
never broke during testing, however TAC guy told me to do the following:

Darren

****************************
1.

>From CCMAdmin pages go to System > Service Parameters > Service Parameter
Configuration > Clusterwide Parameters (Device - PRI and MGCP Gateway) ->
Change B-Channel Maintenance Status 1

B-Channel maintenance status for PRI and CAS interfaces in real time for
troubleshooting.
Input Format:
Device Name = B-channel Maintenance Status
Example:
S0/DS1-0 at SDA123456789ABC = 0000 1111 0000 0000 0000 0001 (24 bits for T1.
Channel number begins with 1 to 24 from left to right.* In the case of PRI,
the last bit specifies the D-Channel*, which does not get affected. *In this
example, the 5th through 8th B-Channels are out of service.*)
or,
S1/DS1-0 at DLS2-CM136-VG200-2.SELSIUSCMLAB.CISCO.COM = 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 1111 1111 (32 bits for E1. B-Channel number begins with 1 to 32
from left to right. The 16th channel specifies the D-Channel. The last bit
does not affect any channel. In this example, the 25th through 31st channels
are marked out of service.)
Explanation:
*The Device Name as specified in the Gateway Configuration page in Cisco
CallManager Administration MUST exactly match the gateway name that this
field specifies.* To avoid any manual inputting mistake, copy the Device
Name from Cisco CallManager Administration and paste it into this service
parameter. "=" is mandatory and unique to distinguish the Device Name and
B-Channel Maintenance Status fields.
BCHANNEL MAINTENANCE STATUS = xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx
Where x can be:
*0 -- In service
1 -- Graceful out of service (Change channel status until active call ends
if an active call exists on that channel.)
2 -- Forceful out of service (Tear down active call first; then, change
channel status immediately if an active call exists on that channel.) *
Because values other than 0,1, or 2 are invalid, the system ignores them.
Make sure that the total number of 'x' is either 24 for T1 or 32 for E1. Any
other invalid length or mismatch (for example, 24 for E1) gets treated as
error, and no action gets taken for that device.
SPACE: Optional.
The spaces between device name and "=", between '=' and BCHANNEL MAINTENANCE
STATUS, and between x and x, are all optional. You cannot use any space
inside the DEVICE NAME field.
PRI Specific:
To use this feature, the Enable status poll check box must be checked on the
PRI Gateway Configuration window. If it is not, you need to check the check
box, click Update, and reset the gateway for the service parameter change to
take effect.
Maximum length: 255

2. Make sure you will not use it with the CCM config server option as the
call manager will reset the B channel service parameter status and overwrite
the configuration on the router, so calls will then be attempted on the
unconfigured B channels.

For your interest:
Defect CSCdw78580 describes the issue with fractional PRI and MGCP.