[cisco-voip] H.323 vs MGCP

Kris Seraphine baryonyx5 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 18:06:25 EDT 2008

If you have any analog DID trunks or fractional PRIs you'll want to
stay H.323.  Those are not support as MGCP in CM.

If you decide to convert, take into consideration your digit discard
settings on the route lists.  Likely you are currently passing the
prefix digit to the gateway.  If you convert to MGCP you'll want to
strip it on the route list.

Personally, I prefer H.323 for remote site PSTN trunks when SRST is
involved.  It's much less buggy more flexible and easier to
troubleshoot.  If you use MGCP you still have to configure H.323 for
fallback so you gain very little.

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Matthew Loraditch
<MLoraditch at heliontechnologies.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> In the past I have had MGCP setup for my gateways but recently took over a
> system with h.323 for the gateways. The gateways are only connected to and
> used by CCM and I like the MGCP abilities to control the various ports
> directly in CM. Is there any benefit to keeping them as H.323? If not is it
> difficult to convert between one or the other?
>
> Thanks!
>

> Matthew Loraditch
> 10944 Beaver Dam Road, Suite A
> Hunt Valley, Maryland  21030