[cisco-voip] HP Switches

Tim Smith thsglobal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 08:44:50 EDT 2008

Just out of curiosity... why dont you use the PC port?
You have phones where you dont have pc's? or you run 2 cables, and sets of
switches?

As far as I know with Cisco.. DHCP will not help config your VLAN on the
phone. A lot of 3rd party systems have this capability though. They boot in
a data vlan, get a DHCP lease from the data scope, and some custom DHCP
option tells them which vlan to use, and then they reboot themselves with
this config using separate voice and data vlans.

Manual config comes in when you want to use the pc port in the phone, and
you want to run separate voice and data vlans..
If you didnt have Cisco switches with CDP v2.. the switch could not tell the
phone which vlan to use for which port automatically.
So to configure your phone to use the voice vlan, you could manually set it
from the phone interface itself. (Lots of work on a large deployment)

Now there is LLDP-MED, there is talk of this in Cisco, and I've seen support
on phone config pages in CCM... but I'm not sure if it can be used /
deployed the same way yet. Would be interesting to know if it is possible.

Personally Cisco is still my favourite, and Cisco on Cisco is probably
always going to be the easiest.. but I do like the HP gear, and where budget
doesnt allow, i think it's certainly a worthy contender...

Same can be said for the Nortel stuff too... you had stacking and layer 2
meshing without blocking links (and between multiple physical chassis!) long
before 3750's, stackwise, cross stack etherchannel and virtualisation came
out.....

I'm going to wash my mouth out now... i feel a bit dirty :) I hope John
Chambers is not reading this forum..

Cheers,

Tim