[cisco-voip] HP Switches

Bill Simon bills at psu.edu
Fri Jul 18 09:28:12 EDT 2008

Note I said logically separated not physically separated.  Yes you run a
cable to your PC and a cable to your phone.  You can do the logical
separation at the switch (configure port-based VLANs) or further
downstream if you want a whole switch of just phones and another whole
switch of just PCs... etc.  We do not run separate core networks.
Disadvantages?... if we want to connect from pc to the voice network
it's routed (but this is to our advantage because then we have the
ability to set up access lists at the router level).  We can't use VT
Advantage (not a concern) and we miss out on some silly click-to-dial
stuff that no one in our organization seems to care much about.  Rather,
they want a rock-solid phone system and that's what they get.

I guess the definition of "converged network" is different for everyone
though.