[cisco-voip] Approximate service outage times for a 5.1->6.1 upgrade

Darren darren at dnsl.com
Wed Jul 30 11:14:57 EDT 2008

I've done a few of these and here's the way I've done it in the past.

*) If using DNS make sure reverse DNS is working correctly (sub upgrade uses
this regarding the pub)
*) upgrade Pub, reboot to new partition
*) when this comes backup it doesn't become properly active (depending on
config of cluster) so normally the phones will stay with the existing
cluster (again depending on config of cluster).
*) upgrade subscriber and reboot.

Phones will reboot, in my scenario this never took more than 20 minutes,
with 7940's and 60's.  From 200 - 400 handsets.

To do each server takes approximately 2 hours each.  I was under the
impression you had to do it in this order to get the publisher database in a
good condition for the subscriber database to use, but I could be wrong
(anybody able to clarify this).