[cisco-voip] ATAs with CER

Walt Moody moody at arizona.edu
Mon Jun 9 17:52:43 EDT 2008

Group,

I'm looking for the "definitive answer" for how to assure accurate
Emergency Response Location information from the Cisco Emergency
Responder for analog devices attached to Analog Terminal Adapters.

The corporate concern here is that we can manually assign an ERL to the
ATA when it is first installed, but the end user can subsequently move
the ATA anywhere on campus without the CER ever knowing and the ERL
ever changing.

We've experimented with using VG-224s and VG-248s in telecom rooms in
some of our buildings.  We've installed some ATA 186s and ATA 188s in
those central locations as well, but we keep returning to the thought
that VoIP means an end to charges for moves and so the ATA needs to be
out in the customer space so as to be portable.

We don't want device portability to be the reason that a first
responder shows up at the wrong address in an emergency.

So, Group, what do you do?  If you have both CER and ATAs do you lock
up the devices?  Do you put ATAs in the hands of your end users and
hope for the best?  Is there a solution that simultaneously solves both
the ERL and the portability problems?

Thanks in advance.

-walt