[cisco-voip] ATAs with CER

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 21:40:18 EDT 2008

Couple notes on what we do them with:

- First, we usually put the ATA's in the com closets if we can, or even
better we use VG248 or 224s when the cost is justified, as they seem to work
better with fax machines. One less thing for them to lose or unplug and then
call with a problem report of it not working (we get enough of those with
the 7914s). We only leave the ATA's out in the user space if there is a very
good reason for it.

- We do as you say in CER as far as manually assigning ERLs. Since we
control where the majority of them are located, this isn't a problem for us,
and the ones that are out in the wild are fax machines or credit card
terminals. That said, I'd love to see a way to track them like we do the
other endpoints.

Staff for the most part all have 7940/60 etcs, so the mobility is less of a
concern for us on the analog lines. We also do not configure every
switchport for voice access, for better or worse.. so if someone needs to
move a phone somewhere that does not currently have an IP phone already
chances are they have to contact us anyway to get the walljack activated -
so the CER info gets updated at that point.  Wasn't my decision but I can
see the reasoning behind it from a security standpoint.

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Walt Moody <moody at arizona.edu> wrote:

> Group,
>
> I'm looking for the "definitive answer" for how to assure accurate
> Emergency Response Location information from the Cisco Emergency
> Responder for analog devices attached to Analog Terminal Adapters.
>
> The corporate concern here is that we can manually assign an ERL to the
> ATA when it is first installed, but the end user can subsequently move
> the ATA anywhere on campus without the CER ever knowing and the ERL
> ever changing.
>
> We've experimented with using VG-224s and VG-248s in telecom rooms in
> some of our buildings.  We've installed some ATA 186s and ATA 188s in
> those central locations as well, but we keep returning to the thought
> that VoIP means an end to charges for moves and so the ATA needs to be
> out in the customer space so as to be portable.
>
> We don't want device portability to be the reason that a first
> responder shows up at the wrong address in an emergency.
>
> So, Group, what do you do?  If you have both CER and ATAs do you lock
> up the devices?  Do you put ATAs in the hands of your end users and
> hope for the best?  Is there a solution that simultaneously solves both
> the ERL and the portability problems?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -walt

Ed Leatherman
Senior Voice Engineer
West Virginia University
Telecommunications and Network Operations