[cisco-voip] CCIE Security Vs Voice

Matthew Saskin msaskin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 15:11:30 EST 2009

My .02c - as background I run the Unified Communications practice for a
Managed Service Provider.

The majority of our customers are what would be considered large enterprise
(2-5K+ employees) - the majority of our IPT clients have extremely large
Cisco IPT/UC environments and do directly employ Voice CCIE's in addition to
utilizing our services.  I've got a number of customers with 20K+ handsets
across multiple cluster globally.

Short answer - there are plenty of enterprise jobs for Voice CCIE's, albeit
fewer than enterprise jobs for R&S CCIE's.

If you're interested in staying up at the "theory" level or working on the
service provider side, security may be a slightly better route.  Voice IE is
most definitely "application first" around Cisco's own IPT/UC applications.

-matt