[cisco-voip] How to use G711 when call placed via CM H323 gateway

Andy Yerofyeyev andrew at routeip.net
Wed Jan 7 09:51:12 EST 2009

Hello ,

I'll appreciate if you can help me understand how codecs is selected and how
to restrict gateway to use only G711 when call placed via H323 gateway.
I created H323 gateway , assigned gateway to same device pool and location
as all of my phones , but when I place call thru this gateway I can see only
g729 codec in H245 capabilities .

debug h245 asn on gateway itself shows about incoming call (from CM)
      capabilityTable
      {

        {
          capabilityTableEntryNumber 6
          capability receiveAudioCapability : g729AnnexA : 2
        },
        {
          capabilityTableEntryNumber 5
          capability receiveAudioCapability : g729 : 2
        }
      }

      capabilityTable
      {

        {
          capabilityTableEntryNumber 1
          capability receiveAudioCapability : g729 : 6
        },
        {
          capabilityTableEntryNumber 44
          capability receiveAndTransmitUserInputCapability : hookflash :
NULL
        },
        {
          capabilityTableEntryNumber 45
          capability receiveAndTransmitUserInputCapability : basicString :
NULL
        },
        {
          capabilityTableEntryNumber 46
          capability receiveAndTransmitUserInputCapability : dtmf : NULL
        }
      }

If I use Non-gatekeeper controlled intracluster trunk situation pretty the
same. Just FUI , location bandwidth is Unlimited and 711 codec configured to
use inside Region to which phones and gateway belongs to. If call placed
from one 7960 to anoter they use 711 codec.

If I restrict to use only 711 codec on gateway itself (by using codec-class
on incoming dial-peer) call failed.

--
Best Regards,

Andriy Yerofyeyev CCIE #21607