[j-nsp] Smallest Juniper capable of moving 5M packet per second ?

michael.firth at bt.com michael.firth at bt.com
Wed Sep 6 09:57:49 EDT 2006

If you can accept exactly 4 GigE ports and 4 FE ports, then you could
use an M7i.

It can be ordered with 1 built-in GigE port, and has 4 PIC slots, which
you could use for 3 more GigE ports, and a quad FE PIC to give your four
FE ports.

This has the advantage over the M10i of being only 2RU big, rather than
5RU. The disadvantage is that a fully populated M10i could have, for
example, 6 x GigE ports + 8 x FE Ports.

If you are wanting 2 routers as a main and standby, then the extra
redundancy available with the M10i (optional CFEB redundancy and RE
redundancy) may not be an issue.

In terms of testing with the precise load you are looking at, I can't
help much, beyond referencing the Juniper Wiki, which says that the M7i
is capable of 16Mpps.

http://juniper.cluepon.net/index.php/M7i

The L2 header is removed by the PIC, so with smaller packets the
relatively high overhead on Ethernet may assist, as the data rate will
have a higher percentage of headers than if you were running full size
packets.

Michael