Re: [nsp] LSP fast reroute

From: Eric Osborne (eosborne@cisco.com)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 18:16:19 EDT

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 05:37:31PM -0400, Kent Yu wrote:
> Eric,
>
> > you still need to build the bypass LSP (we don't like the word
> > "detour" :) ). But you can place it using 'exclude-address x.x.x.x'
> > in the explicit-path list, so you don't need to lay out the entire LSP
> > path. That makes things a lot easier.
> >

> I think it would be better if we could just signal the fast reroute without
> manually building the tunnels on every router. Kind of like making the
> routers create the tunnel interfaces automatically, is this why it is not
> easy in IOS?

It's not easy because it's currently not possible. :) There's nothing
wrong with this idea, it's just not something we (currently) implement.

That works OK as long as all you need to do is avoid the link/node
you're protecting. If you explicitly need to steer a path in a
specific direction (so you don't protect an OC48 down an OC3, for
example), you then need to start explicitly steering LSPs, which means
you need to build a tunnel interface and so forth.

eric