Re: [nsp] LSP fast reroute

From: Kent Yu (kyu@opnet.com)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 11:43:29 EDT

Eric,

> > I think it would be better if we could just signal the fast reroute
without
> > manually building the tunnels on every router. Kind of like making the
> > routers create the tunnel interfaces automatically, is this why it is
not
> > easy in IOS?
>
> It's not easy because it's currently not possible. :) There's nothing
> wrong with this idea, it's just not something we (currently) implement.

I think I realized how difficult it is to implement a feature that does not
exist right now -;).
What I was trying to ask was if there are some other reasons not
implementing this? I would assume there should be some push from the
customers about this, but as it is not implemented, I guess still not
enough.

> That works OK as long as all you need to do is avoid the link/node
> you're protecting. If you explicitly need to steer a path in a
> specific direction (so you don't protect an OC48 down an OC3, for
> example)

But this only happens because we cannot specify fast reroute for each LSP,
this feature is called link/node protection, it is certainly OK if we only
want manually build tunnels on every router on which we have links/nodes to
protect.

Kent