Re: [nsp] Migrating from vtp transparent to server/client - tips ?

From: Dmitri Kalintsev (dek@hades.uz)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 20:18:55 EDT

Hi Matthew,

As long as the rest of your domain is in transparent mode, it's pretty safe
to configure your master switch(es) as masters (make sure they have all
VLANs correctly, with all parameters, including names, MTUsizes etc.) first,
then enable vtp client mode incrementally. The only problem I can think of
off hand is if you have one or more VLANs on the switch you're planning to
configure as a client that does not exist on your new VTP masters. This VLAN
will disappear from the switch and all ports belongng to it will stop
forwarding traffic.

Needless to say, if you have more that one master, their configs must match.
;)

By the way, don't forget that (AFAIK) if your switch in client mode gets
parted with its master(s), it will discard all VLANs and will stop
forwarding traffic, so plan wisely. :)

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 10:25:28PM -0700, matthew zeier wrote:

> I have a sizable network of switches all set to transparent VTP that I'd
> like to migrate into a common VTP domain.
>
> Before I play in the lab, any gotcha's I should be looking out for?
> Recommended steps? Would I be safe if I put one switch in a domain and made
> it server and then made the other switches clients?
>
> My concern is that perhaps unless the VLANs are identical on all switches,
> one switch will overwrite another with a possible incorrect view.
---end quoted text---

SY,

--
 CCNP, CCDP (R&S)                          Dmitri E. Kalintsev
 CDPlayer@irc               Network Architect @ connect.com.au