[nsp] backup for 6509

From: Benjie Ko (gerwalk1@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 03:23:46 EDT

Hello list,

We have a small datacenter for my company w/c consists
of cisco 6509 (pfc2 msfc2 running native IOS) and 4
3548xls.
The 6509 connects to my upstream and the 3548s are
trunk connected (via GE) to it.
6509 is doing OSPF,perVLAN QOS (policing),vtp server
among other things.
Since the 6509 is single point of failure, we're
looking at adding another switch, not a 6509 though
due to budget contraints, on our network topology w/c
could act as a backup in the event that the 6509
fails.
The switch should be able to do HSRP, per VLAN QOS and
OSPF.
I havent talked to a Cisco rep yet since I need
unbiased advice on this issue (and not just making a
sale).
Will the Cisco 3550 be able to handle this? We're
talking of less than 50 VLANs here. We're expected to
push around 8 - 10 Mbs of traffic on our external
links.

Thanks in advance.