[nsp] AIS or LOS

From: Jim Warner (warner@cats.UCSC.EDU)
Date: Fri Sep 24 1999 - 11:22:53 EDT

AIS seems to be a telephone company abrievation for "All ones"
but T1X1.4/87-702R3 says it really stands for Alarm Indication
Signal. It is defined as "The signal that replaces the normal
traffic signal when a maintenance alarm indication has been
activated."

LOS means Los Of Signal. It means roughly that the equipment
is not seeing pulses of any kind. You'd expect this indication
if you pulled the plug on your T-1.

Question:

If I order a clear channel point-to-point T1 from a LEC, when
it's turned over to me -- before I place any equipment -- should
I expect to see all ones or nothing at all on the pair carrying
signal in my direction?

Does the answer to that question depend on whether the path
to me is through multiplexors or merely repeaters?

Thanks. -jim warner, UC Santa Cruz