Re: [nsp] BGP routing questions

From: Dave Curado (davec@navinet.net)
Date: Thu Sep 30 1999 - 23:27:39 EDT

There are probably many ways to do what you want, and
even more opinions about how to do it best.
It sounds like you want to control outbound traffic (?)
so I'll offer the stuff below. Influencing inbound
traffic would be a seperate conversation.

I have used local_pref to influence the path
selected for outbound traffic. It worked well.

One way to do this is as follows, assuming you want
to put more traffic on provider_A:

 - take full routes from both providers
 - set all routes from provider_B's own AS (and only their AS)
   with a local_pref of 110
 - set all other routes from provider_B with a local_pref
   of 90
 - set all routes from provider_A with a local_pref
   of 100 (the default value)

The result should be that traffic that is going to
provider_B's own AS will go directly there.
Everything else (the majority of your traffic) will go
via provider_A. In the event of an outage of either of
your connections, you'll still have a full routing table.

If the "B" link ends up underutilized, you can tune this
by setting a few more routes advertised by provider_B with
a local_pref of 110.

You could accomplish the same thing by:
 - taking partial routes from provider_B
 - setting local pref to 110 for everything from B
 - creating a default route on both routers to B
 - taking full routes from provider_A

Or taking full routes from both and pruning out some from B...

I guess I'm proving my own point that there are a number of
ways to do this.

Hope this helps.
davec