Re: Smartnet and used equipment

From: Stephen Sprunk (ssprunk@cisco.com)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 11:11:52 EST

Thus spake <jlewis@lewis.org>
> I can't remember now if I saw it on a web page at cisco.com, or if it was
> one of the meetings with our sales rep of the week, but I know I saw or
> heard the same things mentioned in the URL below.

> Was this just scare tactics from the cisco sales force, or is/was cisco
> management seriously considering these changes?

You can't sell your IOS license, just like you can't sell Windows licenses.
This is standard practice in the software world, and has been for decades.
Before used Cisco kit became common, it wasn't worth enforcing, but the
dotcom collapse made stating the obvious necessary.

I have never heard of Cisco requiring inspections of gear prior to issuing
SmartNet contracts, though it would certainly make sense for them to do so
for higher-end kit. Think of it this way: if you asked Ferrari to sell you
a warranty on a used car, they'd want to check the car out before they
issued said warranty.

> This would be a big change from the mid 90's when I bought a used 2501,
> found it to be DOA, called TAC, and was told "if you order SmartNet now
> with a credit card, we can have a new 2501 delivered tomorrow via next day
> air" even thought they knew I'd just bought it used and it was DOA.

I think that procedure was more due to helpful engineers than official
policy.