Re: [nsp] BGP Multihoming -how to announce backup route???

From: Dmitri Kalintsev (dek@hades.uz)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 18:10:18 EST

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 03:53:39PM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> We're currently not accepting more specific prefixes than a /24 (so the
> /25s in your example would mean that this network is not reachable at all
> from here!).

...provided that he's not advertising whole supernet.

> Depending on the routing table growth, we're currently considering not
> accepting /24s at all, and maybe not accepting anything more specific

This would get you into trouble with networks that were issued to people
before CIDR days. There are many /24's of this sort floating around.

> than a /20 in the ARIN blocks (where nothing smaller was ever given out).
>
> So: always consider if you really want to fragment a perfectly nice and
> shiny address block. What are the benefits, what are the risks and
> costs.

Fragmenting recently obtained blocks into anything smaller than /20 is a
marketing and administrative suicide. You'll have piles of troubles that
will outweight any positive effects you were trying to achieve.

SY,

--
 CCNP, CCDP (R&S)                          Dmitri E. Kalintsev
 CDPlayer@irc               Network Architect @ connect.com.au