Re: BGP routing questions

From: Nikos Mouat (nikm@cyberflunk.com)
Date: Fri Oct 22 1999 - 00:03:40 EDT

   Boy, It seems a bit late to jump into this conversation, but none the
less here I go..
   I like to use local preferences to route specific AS's a certain way
based on percieved better routing when AS paths don't reflect that. I
don't like to use it too much in load balancing otherwise even circuits.
What I do in a case like yours is use the 'origin' flag to mark a certain
providers origin in a preferable way, so that otherwise even AS PATH's
would prefer the provider I like, rather than based on some arbitrary
value like the next hop IP address. (since the origin is way down the list
of tie-breakers and I haven't found a valid use for the recieved values
yet). If you get routes from AS 1 and AS 701, this is tricky since routes
will almost always look better via AS 1 so you're obviously doing
something already to balance that.. I might prepend '1' to the BBN
incoming routes so that it evens up with the UUNET routes (ie, I think '1
1' would be even with '701')

Regards,
nm