Re: [nsp] BGP Confederation question

From: Danny McPherson (danny@qwest.net)
Date: Mon Oct 25 1999 - 02:43:17 EDT

> IBGP is the IGP. Each confederation is made up of
> fully-meshed IBGP speakers in a peer-group. Intra-sub-as
> routing is not a problem, it is routing between confederations
> that is posing the trickiness.

Rather than creating a fully-meshed sub-AS configuration with only iBGP peering between the sub-ASs, I believe a more common/optimal model for deploying BGP confederations with fully-meshed sub-ASs is one in which requires that all sub-ASs share a common IGP (not iBGP, rather RIP, OSPF, ISIS, EIGRP, etc..) and allow the NEXT_HOP value to be set by the first router in the confederation, etc... If you do manage to get things right without a true IGP, most would still benefit greatly when considering convergence across the network.

If containing IGP (not iBGP) scaling is the goal and you'd prefer to use different IGPs within a sub-AS, you'll likely want to go with a centralized confederation design whereby all the sub-ASs exchange destination information via a core or central sub-AS. Of course, this has a few obvious offshoots as well. And if that big of a deal, you could always use eBGP and the private-AS stuff on your Internet-connected BGP routers.

I do suppose an implementation could add knobs to support policy definitions based on AS_CONFED_SEQUENCE/AS_SUBCONFED_SET values. However, it seems there are plenty of more optimal options available that would allow one to avoid doing this.

-danny