[nsp] BGP Confederation question

From: tcobb@staff.circle.net
Date: Sun Oct 24 1999 - 07:07:47 EDT

We have recently implemented BGP confederations as we
expand the number of routing facilities/routers we depend on.
However, I'm running into an annoying problem related
to the fact that confederation (sub-AS) length are not
counted when best-path is computed. Here's a quick
and simplified example of meshed confederation BGP
peer-group speakers between facilities:

     CONFEDB
       / |
CONFEDA |
       \ |
      CONFEDC

Assume for the moment that
CONFEDA is locally connected to 10.0.0.0/24
And CONFEDB is locally connected to 10.1.0.0/24
And CONFEDC is locally connected to 10.2.0.0/24
("locally connected" is just being used as a placeholder
for the fact that the routes originate on my AS at these
locations)

Now, assuming no other preference modifications, CONFEDA
will see potential routes to 10.2.0.0/24 coming from CONFEDB
and CONFEDC. However, due to the fact that internal sub-AS
numbers are not computed as part of an AS path length selection, the
routes appear to be equally weighted between the two hop
route from CONFEDA->B->C and the one hop route of CONFEDA->C.
Actually, in the above case, the best path computation goes all
the way down to arbitrarily choosing the A->B->C as best route.

What I'd like to do is find a way to continue meshing the confederations
and dynamically assign best path based on the closeness to the point of
route origination. With external AS, this happens fairly automatically,
but with internal sub-AS, it does not appear to. I don't want to have
to hard-code route preferences at any location. One way that I came up
with was to send a community to internal peers whenever a route was
originated
on the router in question. However, this falls apart when we get past
the simplest case, and also requires removing the community before routes
are propagated further within my AS (communities persist).

A MED also seemed reasonable, but suffers from similar problems.

What I'd really like to do is either
a) force Cisco BGP to consider sub-AS path lengths
OR
b) us a MED that increases additively based on the distance away from
route origination

The preferred best solution would avoid hard coding netblocks into
route-map statements and would scale past the simplest case, above.
Oh, if it matters, all of the BGP speakers are 7206 or larger Ciscos.

Any ideas? Or did I simply miss some CLI option? ;)

-Troy Cobb
 Circle Net, Inc.
 http://www.circle.net