[nsp] ICMP Unreachable and CEF

From: Elijah Kagan (elijah@netvision.net.il)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 04:21:46 EST

I always thought that when a router forwards packets to Null0 it also
generates ICMP Unreachable message to indicate this event. It seems that
this is not the case on routers running CEF. I checked this on several
platforms: 7500, 7200 and 3600. Whenever CEF is turned off I see those
unreachables pouring in, with CEF on - nothing.

Is this the expected behavior? Can anyone expand on this issue?

-- elijah

P.S. I am running 12.0(x)S on 7200 and 7500.