RE: static routing

From: Jim Warner (warner@cats.UCSC.EDU)
Date: Sat Nov 20 1999 - 16:44:18 EST

I'll add to this lively discussion that there's another approach (skinned
cat) to this. You can merge your T1s at layer 2 and get virtual interface
that will have 2 x 1.5 Mbit/s. You configure multilink PPP. This is
what's commonly done to merge two channels in ISDN to make a 128 kb pipe,
but it can be done at T-1 speeds if you've got enough CPU power.

Cisco has a nice note on this at:

 http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120t/120t3/multippp.htm

Reordering of packets at the output end of the MPPP link is included in
the protocol.

In this discussion it hasn't come up as a requirement, but I believe that
the downside of CEF is that any sort of priority queuing is out the window.
I believe that multilink PPP permits priority queueing.

Probably all this will use _lots_ of CPU.

-jim warner, UCSC