Re: [nsp] Cisco vs. Juniper of LSP setup

From: Sean Crocker (crockers@mail.trinicom.com)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 17:09:02 EDT

*Last* post on this...

>> If you want to get from your house to a place you
>> only know the
>> address of, but not directions to, do you just drive
>> down the street
>> and keep turning left until you find the place?
>> that'll work, but
>> it's not terribly efficient. That's why we have
>> maps....
>
>No, you are missing the point, I know the address as
>well as all possible pathes.
>If I know there are four pathes lead to the
>destination, but I do not know which of them have been
>blocked for road work, why can't I just try one by
>one?

It's possible to change the ingress implementation to do that, bit just
because you can do something doesn't mean you should. IOS doesn't do
it that way. JUNOS doesn't do it that way from what I can tell. No
customer with money has asked a vendor to do it that way so far. An
astonishing number of folks do see the forest for the trees.

You can try to find an offline server (or roll your own) that'll
tell an ingress to try one potential path, then try the next if PATHERR
comes back, and so on. There's all sorts of crazy junk you can do
with basic expect and tcl skills :-)

Sean