[nsp] BGP4 Route Selection Criteria

From: Jay Stewart (cosmo@olywa.net)
Date: Mon Nov 22 1999 - 15:15:30 EST

Can someone send me the route selection criteria that BGP4 uses to
determine which route is most preferrable?

>From my understanding, all things being equal, a shorter AS-Path will
be chosen, regardless of the length of the prefix. In other words, if
I advertise 10.0.0.0/8 with as path - {AS1 AS2}, and I advertise
10.0.10.0/24 with as path prepending as such - {AS1 AS2 AS2}, will
remote routers select the longer AS Path route due to the shorter
prefix?

Jay Stewart
Vice President
Olympia Networking Services - "The Northwest's Premier ISP"
http://www.olywa.net