Re: [nsp] what uses all the cpu cycles

From: Rubens Kuhl Jr. (rkuhljr@uol.com.br)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 17:30:36 EDT

The usual cause of unexpected high MSFC CPU is a high packet rate that Sup
isn't forwarding for some reason (lack of adjacency information, ACL compile
failure). That doesn't seem the case here, because the standby MSFC wouldn't
be forwarding packets.

My initial guess would be SPF calculation for OSPF or IS-IS; both routers
have to evaluate best paths when topology changes.
See also that high MSFC CPU is common during ACL updates, may be this is
happening due to security policy being updated by humans or an automatic
system.

I would also be willing to look at the info you gathered.

Rubens Kuhl Jr.