Re: [nsp] router capacity question

From: Niels Bakker (niels@euro.net)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 16:29:09 EST

Richard Steenbergen wrote:

>>> Try 'ip route-cache same-interface'.
>> This isn't enabled by default. Why not? What are the hidden pitfalls one
>> can fall into when this is in effect?
> It breaks the ability to send ICMP Redirects informing the sender of the
> traffic that they should keep the traffic on that LAN and not be sending
> to this interface.

If you're not running CEF, isn't that the case only for packets that get
fast-switched, i.e. all except the first one in a flow? That isn't that
bad, I'd say. On FastEthernet interfaces with lots of secondary addresses
I'd rather waste bandwidth due to a machine not honouring or receiving an
ICMP redirect than waste CPU cycles on the router

(So it's only useful if you're not running CEF on a high-speed
 interface... hmm, I can see cisco's reasoning for not making it
 default to on, I think. ;)

        -- Niels.