Re: SHOCK NEWS: Cisco not RFC-1812 compliant

From: Basil V. Dolmatov (dol@east.ru)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 15:34:46 EST

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Martin Cooper wrote:

> Today I learned the shocking truth: the Cisco 800 series is not
> compliant with RFC-1812 ("Requirements for IP Version 4 Routers").
>
> 1812 says the following:
>
> "A router that implements any routing protocol (other than static
> routes) MUST IMPLEMENT OSPF (see Section [7.2.2]). A router MAY
> implement additional IGPs."
>
> The 800 series supports RIP, so by this requirement it should also
It also supports EIGRP in Plus feature set.

> support OSPF. I know the 800 series is a toy router, and I wouldn't
> much care about OSPF support if it wasn't an RFC requirement, but
> really, I would have liked to think that a company with as long a
> history as Cisco would be able to manage to properly implement the
> requirements of such a fundamental RFC. Apparently not... :-(
>
> Is the ignorance of fundamental RFC requirements going to be
> spreading to other products in the Cisco range I have to ask?
If you look at headline of RFC-1812 you can laugh loudly!

Network Working Group F. Baker, Editor
Request for Comments: 1812 Cisco Systems
Obsoletes: 1716, 1009 June 1995
Category: Standards Track

It is a standard proposed _by_Cisco_, which is ignored in Cisco
products... ;) ;) ;) ;)

One more case in your purse ;)

Bug Id : CSCdp21501

 Headline support for ETRN in CBAC smtp inspect
 Product all Model
 Component fw Duplicate of
 Severity 4 Status C
 Version Found 12.0 Fixed-in Version
 Release Notes

 Request for RFC 1985 command ETRN to be supported by CBAC
 inspection for smtp.

Status "C" means :
Bug report is valid, but a
conscious decision has been
made not to fix it at all or
in all releases. Normally, a
development engineering
manager moves a bug report
to this state. This state is
not available in all
projects.

"A conscious decision has been made" not to follow RFC... ;)

Basil (Vasily) Dolmatov CCIE #5347, CCNP-Security, CCDA
East Connection ISP, Moscow, Russia. (http://www.east.ru)