Re: [nsp] Arp table screwed

From: George Robbins (grr@shandakor.tharsis.com)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 19:38:59 EST

> Subject: [nsp] Arp table screwed
>
> The Arp table on my CISCO 2511 is getting screwed. The table lists hardware
> addresses as Incomplete on IP addresses from different servers. I´m having
> to manually insert the addresses on the table. Now obviously this is
> causing alot of problems with our webhosting clients not to mention out
> dial-up users.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to trace the root of the problem? I would
> appreciate any input.
>
> Thanks in advance, Mauricio

enable
term mon
debug arp

You may need to capture the output so that you can review it rather
than having it flood by. There are a number of reasons for arp not
working, but review the quries and responses seen. Look for bogus
or multiple responses, complaints about wrong network or cable, or
throttling due to many requests for inactive addresses.

There are also a variety of route-cache bugs that seem related to
arp, becuase "clear arp" will obtain temporary relief, though that's
not the real problem.

                                                George