Network consulting help wanted

From: Steve Pfister (srp336@optimum.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 20:41:09 EST

I've got a network that I've been taking care of for nearly six years now.
I was involved from the beginning, research what equipment to buy, and
setting everything up and maintaining it myself. I've been able to handle
every problem that we're experienced up to now. We've been having a
performance problem lately, that I can't seem to do anything about at all.
We're considering hiring some outside consulting help to get us through
this. What's a good source to start looking? We'd like to find someone
locally if we could.

To briefly summarize the problem:

- users report problems similar to this report concerning web browsing:
Commonly accessed sites (such as us.imdb, www.yahoo.com, www.ipo-fund.com,
www.quicken.com), amongst virtually all others, continue to exhibit the
"degraded tcp session" aspects which i have previously characterized.
Interrupting the "delayed" transfer with repeated connects
(new GETs), will frequently lead to a third or fourth try which results
in a complete connect, GET and disconnect in timely fashion (actually
multiple GETs for full pages of objects).

- Running tests of a series of pings from various points in the network
showed a low, constant packet loss, which increased quite a bit under load.
Setting all interfaces from 100mbit, full duplex to 10mbit, full duplex
eliminated just about all of these losses

- Our two border routers to the Internet are showing some drops on the T1
serial interfaces. I've been bumping up the hold queue sizes little by
little, but it still seems to occur. None of the drops that I've found
constitute a significant percentage of total packets.

- The only place errors have been significantly accumulating are input
framing errors on a central Catalyst switch

- All other drops and errors seem to be a rather small percentage of the
total packets involved. I haven't been able to find anything else that
should have any noticable impact on performance.

- Is there any way to quantify network performance?

Thanks!

--Steve