Re: [nsp] AS5300 modem problems

From: Jesper Skriver (jesper@skriver.dk)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 15:06:58 EDT

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 02:27:54PM -0400, Jay Nakamura wrote:
> We are having two strange problems with our modems in AS5300. I was
> wondering if anyone else has seen this and if they have any resolutions...
>
> First problem is that once in a while, certain modems on one card will stop
> taking calls and start wanting to download it's firmware. It won't do that
> until all 12 modems on that card ends it's call and is free to download
> firmware. Well, that doesn't work well when we have a fully loaded chassis
> and there isn't spare 12 modems.

That is the default when a modem gets in a "stuck state", it can be changed

router(config)#modem recovery action ?
  disable Mark the modem bad
  download Recover by firmware download
  none Do not try to recover

Your only real option is disable, and then write a script to monitor the
modems in "Bad" state - but this might not be what you want.

> Second problem is, some modems have started to think that it's taking a call
> when it really isn't. Even worse, it thinks it's getting username
> "Username: Username:" and passing that over to RADIUS over and over, and
> getting refused, dogging the RADIUS server as well as the AS5300.
>
> We have AS5300 with 8T1/PRI ports 192 MICA modems
> 12.0(7)T
> Modem code is 2.6.2.1

We has had resonable luck with 12.1(2) and MICA firmware 2.7.1.3

/Jesper