Re: [nsp] RES: [nsp] Ethernet backup interface

From: Dmitri Kalintsev (dek@hades.uz)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 02:10:57 EDT

On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 05:52:19PM -0400, Franklin Lian wrote:

> > Use BVI's.
> >

> Hey, this is a very interesting idea. BVI will give you certain
> redundancy between the two interface on a router, however I guess it
> introduces more problem than the benefit. Besides of the IOS code
> support (bugs and IOS feature set), the BVI is a process switching

Yep. Bugs behave just as they're expected to: infest everything that can be
infested. ;^) So you're lucky if it will itch there where you can scratch.

> interface that won't give you good performance and meanwhile, you

Router#sh ip int bvi1
BVI1 is up, line protocol is up
  IP fast switching is enabled
  IP fast switching on the same interface is disabled
  IP Flow switching is disabled
  IP Fast switching turbo vector
  IP multicast fast switching is enabled
  IP multicast distributed fast switching is disabled
  IP route-cache flags are Fast

12.1(2)

> may play with spanning tree to get the primary/secondary interface
> which means a lot of management overhead is waiting for you. I would

Agreed. But it's still much cheaper that buying a second box, and as far as I
uderstood this was _the_ reason for this exercise. ;^)

> rather to buy another box instead of dealing with the bridged network
> and spanning tree.
>
> Flian

SY,

--
   CCNP,CCDP (R&S)                                   Dmitri E. Kalintsev
   CDPlayer@irc            Senior network engineer at NetActive Internet