Newbie BGP Question.

From: Kevin Gannon (kevin@gannons.net)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 13:18:23 EDT

Guys
Sorry in advance if this is a lame how long is a piece of string question but here goes anyway.
What kind of time scales would you expect a route change to take via BGP across the internet.

Basically I have a customer dual homed and I would like a yard stick of how long its going to take
if one link fails for the advert to be dropped from the main tier 1 sites and exchange points?

I am making the assumption that the route needs to be dropped from the tier1s in order for the
customer to regain full conectivity. I am looking for a VERY rough guide.

Thanks & Regards,
Kevin