Re: [nsp] Cisco 7507 performance

From: Rodney van den Oever (RvdOever@chello.nl)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 14:37:44 EDT

>I'm curious about Cisco 7507 performance.
>If I use 4 OC3 interfaces and one Gigabit Ethernet Interface in one Cisco
>7507,
>is there no problem?
>Is there anybody who had this kind of experience?
>Please let me know the performance of this combination.

Do you intend to route all OC-3 traffic across the single gigabit?
The gigabit int can only cope with around 300Mbps (limitation cBus) whereas
4xOC-3 amounts to 600Mbps.

The gigabit int is only available as a single interface processor card
(GEIP) right now so you can't benefit from dCEF here (switching between Port
Adapters on the Linecard itself).

Apart from that I do not have much faith in the stability in the GEIP at
this moment, and you are now putting all your eggs in one basket.
Maybe you could add another GEIP for redundancy on both sides and load
balance these links or even setup a Port Channel with two GEIP's?

--
Rodney van den Oever / PGP Key ID 0x0A6CCE53
'OIR - On Insertion Reload'