Re: preferred DS3 framing

From: Jared Mauch (jared@puck.nether.net)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 17:07:41 EDT

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 04:59:00PM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Erik L. Montemer wrote:
>
> > c-bit is application specific framing.
>
> You've lost me a little bit there... What do you mean by 'application
> specific'? Also Jared mentioned running unframed C-bit. If C-bit is a
> type of framing, how do you run framing without framing??

        You are providing your own framing with the csu that is built
into the PA-nT3 card (where n is either 2 or non-existant). When you
order the ds3 from the telco, you would order a "clearchannel" ds3.

> > M13 is channelized DS-3. You
> > probably don't want to run M13 unless you're breaking off individual T-1s.
> > Running M13 in a non-muxed environment wreaks havoc on any constant bitrate
> > applications. M13 is commonly used with the CT3 cards.
>
> Odd, I found the option of M13 in the PA-T3 config guide. I guess for
> some very specific application there is a use for this? The PA-T3 isn't a
> CT3 card according to the docs...

        No it is not, but if the telco is providing m13 framing on the line
because the circuit was ordered wrong, you can set it to use
that framing type.

> Thanks though,
>
> Charles
>
> > --erik