Re: [nsp] Bridging DSL to 7206

From: Charles Sprickman (spork@inch.com)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 19:28:08 EDT

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Mark E. Mallett wrote:

> > I have to concur on that, we saw the exact same thing after BA moved to
> > the Redbacks. After rebooting the router that terminated the dsl
> > connections, the MAC of the BVI changed and we no longer had connectivity
> > to our subscribers. Evidence was the same, mac addresses showing up at
> > the end-user's machine, but not the router.
> >
> > Lock the MAC of your BVI like this:
>
> That is a good suggestion. However as I mentioned there *is* end-to-end
> connectivity of most traffic, just (apparently) not layer 2 broadcasts.

Actually, if I remember your original post correctly, you could only get
connectivity by hard-wiring the arp table on both ends, correct? I should
mention that when I say "lost connectivity", I was not saying we didn't
see the customer at all, what we ended up with was entries in the router's
arp table, but no entry on the customer's PC for our MAC. I'm guessing
that if we would have tried putting an entry on the customer's machine, we
would have had things going...

Just a thought. Do you know what equipment is between you and the telco
other than standard ATM switches? I would still pester them a bit
more. If they are aggragating on a RedBack or a Cisco 6400 (or Catalyst,
blech) they should be able to see the mac addresses of your router and
your remote PC... If not, see if you can lay some of the troubleshooting
burden on them...

Charles