RE: [nsp] REG: MPLS VPN route exchange

From: Scott Morris (smorris@mentortech.com)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 10:24:22 EDT

1. Notating the RD in each VRF, and controlling the communities in MBGP is
how you separate routes/address spaces per VPN. That specific information
is used to filter the routes you do or do not pay attention to. If you look
at the bgp database, it would be horrendous. but the filtering in the VRF
import/export allows these separate routing tables to be much more sane.

2. That is mostly correct. MBGP peers will exchange ALL information, but
it won't get entered into anyone's routing table unless there's a VRF import
or a route to synchronize with (standard BGP operation). The BGP database,
by default, is completely separate from the normal routing table.

3. Yes, RD's are locally significant. If you use them globally, you may
make things better for yourself. I believe it's RFC 2574 that lays out the
structure.

4. Again, it would be helpful, but not necessary...

5. Labels play a role, but like normal BGP operation, you're simply trying
to determine who the next hop (or exit point) is, which would be the PE
router on the other end. Labels can be used to get there, or normal IP
routing to the IP address of the last PE necessary. Whichever works for
your network.

Scott